Vivax after falciparum study group
The vivax after falciparum study group was formed in March 2018, with an invitation to interested researchers with relevant data sets. Research groups with relevant data sets were contacted in early 2018, followed by data collation and analysis. The publication 'Risk of Plasmodium vivax parasitaemia after Plasmodium falciparum infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis' was released in Lancet Infectious Diseases in December 2018.
1. To assess the risk of P. vivax parasitaemia up to day 63 following P. falciparum infection and compare to the risk of P. falciparum recurrence.
2. To quantify and compare the temporal distribution of P. vivax and P. falciparum recurrent parasitaemia.
3. To identify risk factors associated with P. vivax parasitaemia following the treatment of P. falciparum infection.
4. To compare the risk of P. vivax parasitaemia following P. falciparum infection with the expected background risk of P. vivax infection by location.
Essential inclusion criteria
- Prospective therapeutic efficacy trials of uncomplicated P. falciparum infection (including monoinfection and mixed P. falciparum and P. vivax infection)
- Study undertaken in a location co-endemic for P. vivax and P. falciparum
- Study observation period ≥28 days
- Available data on the patients age and gender
- Documented day of recurrence of all species of malaria
- Study meta-data as described in the Data Management and Statistical Analysis Plan